Saturday 10 December 2011

It's the time of the season, for blogging

Oh, don't worry, I'm still neglecting the blog; this is just a post so I can say I posted something in July. So what am I doing in my spare time? Reading? Not as much as I should. I've been into the science fiction a little bit, very unusual for me: the stories of H.P. Lovecraft, to be specific. I'm also reading a collection of Henry Kuttner's work -- I'm actually reading my son's copy of the book (he's already read it). I also went to look up something or other in the Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract last week and wound up re-reading the whole thing.

DVDs? I still have more DVDs than I can ever watch, ever. Right now, I'm working my way through The Val Lewton Collection, both the films themselves and the commentary tracks. The kids and I are about to start on Season Five of The Twilight Zone. Definitely the least of the seasons, but there's still some good moments; most of Rod Serling's literary pretensions had fallen by the wayside by that season, with the shows moving mechanically from plot point A to plot point B to set up surprise ending C, but that kind of approach can be more engaging to kids than that of the earlier episodes, which sometimes are too allegorical and ponderous.

Latest musical obsession? The hard-luck Brit Invasion group The Zombies. Summaries of their career here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment